- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice – Crime Scene Investigation
- B.S. in Justice Studies and M.S. in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies
- A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Corrections, and M.S. in Criminal Justice
The Michigan State Police 2012 Crime Data and Statistics Uniform Crime Report (UCR) shows decreases in totals for certain kinds of crimes in the state between 2011 and 2012. For example, justifiable homicides were down 36.17 percent. Negligent homicide/manslaughter cases were decreased by 25 percent. Other decreases were noted in sexual assault, non aggravated assault, and aggravated/felonious assault cases from 2011 to 2012.
Nevertheless, crime is still occurring in Michigan, increasing the need for forensic scientists in the state. It is the responsibility of those holding forensic science jobs in Michigan to process evidence gathered at crime scenes statewide. The analysis of this evidence is crucial to criminal cases being tried in the state. Students who graduate from forensic science colleges and degree granting schools in Michigan should be well prepared to fill the need for forensic scientists in the state.
Forensic Science Education in Michigan
Forensic science jobs in Michigan typically require at least a bachelor’s degree in one of the natural sciences. The Michigan State Police requires that all who work in their laboratories hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, for example.
Many employers of forensic graduates in Michigan are looking for job candidates who graduated from programs accredited by the Forensic Science Education Programs Accreditation Commission (FEPAC) of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences.
Degrees in forensic science that are available in Michigan and online include:
- Associate of Science in Criminology and Forensic Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Forensic Science
- Bachelor of Science in Forensic Biology
- Bachelor of Science in Forensic Biochemistry
- Master of Science in Forensic Science
Forensic Science Jobs in Michigan
Examples of titles of forensic science jobs in Michigan include:
- Forensic Scientist – Northville
- Computer Forensic Investigator – Auburn Hills
- Forensic Science College Instructor (requires graduate degree) – Detroit
- Forensic Firearm/Toolmark Examiner – Detroit
Organizations Sponsoring Forensic Science Jobs in Michigan
- Michigan State Police Forensic Science – The main laboratory used by the Michigan State Police is located in Lansing and serves all three regions of the state. All of the MSP labs are nationally accredited by the American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors, Laboratory Accreditation Board (ASCLD/LAB). There are six other MSP laboratories in the following locations that process crime scene evidence:
- Grand Rapids
- Sterling Heights
- Oakland County Sheriff’s Office Investigative and Forensic Services Division – This laboratory analyzes evidence from crime scenes throughout Oakland County, Michigan. Analyses performed here include narcotic/drug determinations, composites, physical matches, Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) operations, latent fingerprints, fingerprints, forensic crime scene photography, and expert testimony on blood spatter interpretation.
- G4S – A private security company with locations nationwide, the G4S office in Auburn Hills employs forensic scientists and investigators in the computer and digital analysis areas.
- City of Southfield Specialists/Crime Lab – This city police department’s crime laboratory provides forensic analysis of evidence obtained at crimes scenes in the Southfield area. They often coordinate forensic services with other laboratories as well.
- Grand Traverse County, Michigan Crime Lab – The main crime laboratory for Grand County, Michigan processes evidence collected at crime scenes throughout the county.
Resources for Forensic Science Jobs in Michigan
College students and graduates seeking forensic science jobs in Michigan should consult these helpful resources:
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences – Current Job Openings – Lists forensic science jobs available nationwide
- American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors – Job Postings – Nationwide forensic scientist jobs are posted here
- Midwestern Association of Forensic Scientists – Lists forensic science jobs available primarily in the Midwest states
- Michigan Civil Service Commission – Lists State of Michigan and Michigan State Police forensic science jobs