Wilmington, Delaware’s largest city, is within driving distance of two other major metropolitan job markets, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Deptford/Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Forensic science and crime scene investigation, or CSI, jobs may be found within the city of Wilmington or in nearby Pennsylvania or New Jersey.
According to data provided by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) program, violent crime in Wilmington has increased by six percent over the past decade. Every day in the city, there are approximately 16 crimes. Theft is the most common crime in Wilmington, followed by burglary, auto theft, assault, robbery, rape, murder and arson. Forensic science and CSI professionals are needed in Wilmington to help gather and process evidence from these crime scenes.
Forensic Science and CSI Degrees
A recent search of the classifieds for Wilmington, Delaware found the following jobs in the crime scene investigation and/or forensic science arena available. Next to each job are the degree and/or educational requirements necessary to be eligible for the position:
- Forensic DNA Analyst – requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in forensic science, biology or chemistry, and the following coursework:
- Molecular biology
- Molecular genetics
- Recombinant DNA technology
- Population genetics
- Research & Development Scientist/Laboratory Prep – requires a Ph.D. in chemical engineering, material science, biochemistry, polymer chemistry or chemistry
- Information Security Engineer – requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in computer science or information security
- Forensic Processor /Technician – this is an entry level position for those with a high school diploma or GED, but experience and/or education in the field is highly valued by the employer
- Research Assistant – requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree (master’s degree preferred) in one of the science fields, with coursework including:
Employers of Forensic Scientists and Crime Scene Technicians
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner Forensic Sciences Laboratory – Jobs here may include Forensic DNA Analyst and Medical Examiner. Located on South Adams Street in Wilmington, the OCME Forensic Sciences Laboratory has two chief components:
- The OCME investigates all sudden deaths occurring statewide
- The Forensic Sciences Laboratory performs lab tests in arson investigations, performs blood alcohol tests for DUI cases, analyzes narcotics and other drugs, and provides expert witness court testimony as needed. The Forensic DNA Laboratory, part of the Forensic Sciences Laboratory, performs DNA analysis on evidence submitted for homicides, rapes and other cases.
Agilent Technologies – A privately owned laboratory in Wilmington, Agilent employs Analytical Chemists to perform forensic and other laboratory services for clients including law enforcement, employers and individuals. Other forensic science jobs here include Forensic Data Analyst.
Delaware National Guard – Located in Delaware City, about 12 miles from Wilmington, the Delaware National Guard employs Military Police Officers. Some of the duties of these Military Police Officers include investigation of military crime scenes and processing of crime scene evidence. Requirements to enroll in the Delaware National Guard include holding a high school diploma or GED, being between 17 and 35 years of age, passing a physical examination and a thorough background check.